I remember when my kids were very young and making a purchase that resulted in a very large empty cardboard box. We would cut doors and windows in the box making a little playhouse. The kids loved it! Often made me think we could just give the kids an empty box for their birthday and they would have been thrilled. So you're probably wondering what that has to do with inexpensive things to do with kids. The point is that even simple things can create lasting memories. With that in mind below are some tips on things you can do with your kids to create those special memories or just simply enjoy some family time together without breaking the bank.
- Plan a picnic. Go to your favorite park or even find a park you have never been to before and spend the afternoon. Fill up the cooler with some food and drinks and have some lunch out. If there are barbecue pits you can even cook up some hamburgers and hotdogs. If it's a big park go explore it. Seek out the playground and jump on the swings. Bring a football and play some catch, kick around a soccer ball, throw a Frisbee or whatever you enjoy as a family. Just make an afternoon of it and have some fun family time.
- Go hiking or bike riding. Find a local hiking trail and plan out your adventure. You can load up a backpack with some water and a lunch and make a day of it. You can always grab the bikes and find a trail to ride or even a new riding adventure through your own neighborhood. Plan out your route on you map and find some interesting destinations along your path to stop and see.
- Find water. If you're near the ocean, spend the day at the beach. If you're landlocked, grab a map and find a lake or river. Pack up the car with the necessary gear for your day and head out. Bring some lunch and find a place to settle down and enjoy. Build a sandcastle or skip rocks in the river. Go explore your surroundings. You can make it an adventure or just some relaxing time with the family.
- Get gaming. Maybe weather doesn't permit having a picnic, so play a game. Grab some snacks, the Monopoly board and get your game on! You could also teach your kids a new game of cards or dominos. Whatever the game, just get together as a family and make an afternoon or evening of some family gaming.
- Big city. Take your kids to the nearest big city. Go site seeing and check out the local landmarks. Experience the busy streets, buildings and all there is to take in. Ask locals where the best place to have lunch is and go grab a bite to eat. Sharing new experiences as a family is a great way to create memories.
Hopefully you have found a new idea or thought of your own way to spend some quality time with your family. Remember it doesn't have to be over the top and expensive. Just exploring a new place or passing a ball on a warm weekend at the park can be a perfect way to spend time as a family.